When you look outside of the box of institutional Judaism and Christianity you will find those who have always questioned the Rabbis and Theologians of their day. They are in good company, Jesus did so himself…

“You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said: This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.” (Matthew 15:7-9)

Jesus was referring to the prophet Isaiah 700 years earlier…

“And the Lord said: Because this people draw near with their mouth and honor me with their lips, while their hearts are far from me, and their fear of me is a commandment taught by men therefore, behold, I will again do wonderful things with this people, with wonder upon wonder; and the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the discernment of their discerning men shall be hidden…” (Isaiah 29:13)

One modern Christian who questioned the wisdom of religious men was George MacDonald. If you have never heard of him just make a mental note of what C. S. Lewis said about him…

“I know hardly any other writer who seems to be closer, or more continually close, to the Spirit of Christ Himself. Hence his Christ-like union of tenderness and severity. I have never concealed the fact that I regarded him as my master; indeed I fancy I have never written a book in which I did not quote from him. But it has not seemed to me that those who have received my books kindly take even now sufficient notice of the affiliation. Honesty drives me to emphasize it."

George MacDonald believed as I do that the Bible clearly teaches that all sinful and alienated human beings will ultimately be reconciled to God even though this view had been rejected by institutional Christianity who teach the salvation of some and the damnation of all others. I particularly relate to the following statement from him about their doctrine…

“For my part, I would believe in no God rather than in such a God as is generally offered for believing in.”

George MacDonald (1824-1905)
Unspoken Sermons: Third Series (1889)

Amen!

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Not Ashamed

Trust Him, He's Got This!

Gun to My Head Prediction