I have said this before but it is on my mind again this morning. Biblical FAITH is not a commodity that is manufactured and traded for stuff we ask for in prayer, including our personal Salvation.

Biblical Faith is a lifestyle of confident dependence on the promises of God as directly expressed in his Word. The writer of Hebrews defined it as follows, taken from what I consider to be the most accurate English translation of the Bible which you can access through this blog…

“Now faith is an assumption of what is being expected, a conviction concerning matters which are not being observed.” (Hebrews 11:1 CLNT)

When we have a promise from God we “assume”, “expect” and have a “conviction” that the promise will manifest itself even if at present it is not being observed. Whether the beneficiary of that promise has PRAYED about it does not change the fact that God will do what he promised. And, FAITH in a promise God has NOT MADE will not get us anything whatsoever…no matter how much prayer is offered up – even if made fervently by a righteous man (assuming there is such a man living today other than Jesus himself).

Our effort should be to determine what God has clearly promised in His completed Word, and have FAITH in those promises. Some are negative such as…

"It is necessary to pass through many troubles on our way into the kingdom of God." (Acts 14:22)

But beyond those troubles rests the promise of Jesus himself…

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 14:22)

My prayers and faith are of utmost importance to me, but not to get stuff FROM God, but to give stuff TO God that I just can no longer handle on my own. I just need peace and I get it when I do what the Scripture tells me to do when I need it…

“Don't worry about anything Robert; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you think you need, and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your heart and mind and just keep trying to live in Christ Jesus the best you can.” (Robert’s Own Paraphrased Version of Philippians 4:6-7)

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Not Ashamed

Trust Him, He's Got This!

Gun to My Head Prediction