A Good Read

"If you continue in my word, then you are truly disciples of mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free." (John 8:31-32)

A friend of mine on Facebook posted a link to an article written by Swami Vivekananda relating to the Vedanta Philosophy and commented that it was “a good read”. He was correct and I enjoyed reading the article.

This Vedanta Philosophy reminded me of the above words from Jesus. The truth that will “make you free” remains the truth whether we believe it or not, or however and whenever God allows us to find it. And I am convinced ALL mankind will find it, and it will set them "free". They are to become one with God, finished in His very image, according to the Bible.

I occasionally read the writings of other religions, but I have made the conscious choice to restrict my personal search for truth to the Bible simply because it is the only religious book which categorically claims to be the Word of God. I cannot prove that it is but my choosing to believe it allows me to have a firm foundation for my search for "the truth", rather than be “tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine” as the Bible says. (Ephesians 4:14). It has been hard enough for me to sort through the bad translations and false teaching of the Bible.

My study of the Bible has shown me that all mankind (regardless of their cultural circumstances or religious convictions) will eventually be “made free” or as the Swami might say - be  “enlightened” or reach “nirvana”.  After men die and are resurrected from the “natural body” to their final “spiritual body” they will then be immortal and sinless (the "nirvana" of the Swami in my opinion). Jesus instructed Paul to write the following about the resurrection of the body and soul of man…

“It is sown a perishable body, it is raised an imperishable body; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. So also it is written, “The first man, Adam, became a living soul.” The last Adam (Jesus) became a life-giving spirit. However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural; then the spiritual…Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality. But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, “DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory. “O death where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?” The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law; but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.” (1 Corinthians 15:42-58)

And of course the “work of the Lord” is setting mankind “free” from death into immortal life. 


In referring to Jesus the Swami says…

“Jesus and others like him are free spirits; and Jesus of Nazareth took human form, not by the compulsion of his past actions, but just to do good to mankind. It is not that when a man becomes free, he will stop and become a dead lump; but he will be more active than any other being, because every other being acts only under compulsion, he alone through freedom”

The Swami’s analysis comes closer to the truth about Jesus than the views of some theologians of Christianity that I have encountered, but there is much much more to Jesus than just a "free spirit".  So I don’t plan on starting Yoga anytime soon, but again, thank you Nic, it was a good read.

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Not Ashamed

Trust Him, He's Got This!

Gun to My Head Prediction