Building on a sure Foundation

“By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care. For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.” (1 Corinthians 3:10-15)

This was written almost 2000 years ago by the Apostle Paul. Several years ago I decided to learn from Paul’s letters exactly what he, the wise master builder, had laid upon the foundation of Jesus Christ. Then compare it to the doctrines of Christianity, both Catholic and Protestant. The result was surprising and disappointing and I had to “renew my mind” and rid it of much false doctrine which the church had built upon Jesus Christ. In my opinion there are five such doctrines, two of which are the worst of the “wood, hay and stubble” that need to be deleted from the mind in the renewal process. For in my view they will bring the most “loss” of “reward” in “the Day” when the truth of what we believed are “revealed with fire”

1.  Eternal conscious torment in hell
2.  Self-determination (free will) with regard to the salvation of mankind. 

The above are doctrines of men which have been built upon the foundation of Jesus Christ. Jesus, nor Paul the “wise master builder”, taught any such doctrines. These institutions of men which have built upon the foundation of Jesus Christ with this "wood, hay and stubble" will be consumed in the flame in my opinion. 

The "rock" and “sure foundation” of our faith is obvious…

"Behold, I lay in Zion a stone for a foundation, a tried stone, a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation; whoever believes will not act hastily…He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be moved…Jesus Christ the Nazarene, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead…He is the stone which was rejected by you, the builder, but which became the chief cornerstone. And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved." (Isaiah 28:16; Psalm 62:6; Acts 4:10-12)


So is Jesus your savior or is your free will choice your savior?

Will the rock of your salvation assign those who do not join your institution to eternal conscious torment, or will he save ALL sinners?

Are you going to build upon this ROCK with the "wood, hay and stubble" of men, or with precious "gold, silver and costly stones" of God and exalt the Savior of all mankind?

“It is a trustworthy statement deserving full acceptance…Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners…God our Savior wills ALL men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth… there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for All, the testimony given at the proper time. For this I was appointed a preacher and an apostle, I am telling the truth, I am not lying, as a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth...it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of ALL men, especially of believers. Prescribe and TEACH THESE THINGS.” (1 Timothy 1:15, 2:3-7; 4:9-11) 


I have renewed my mind and placed the destiny of all those I love in the hands of the ROCK, the "sure foundation" and "Savior of ALL mankind" - and it has set me free!

“If you continue in my word, then you are truly disciples of mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free…be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will…" (John 8:31-32; Romans 12:2)

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Not Ashamed

Trust Him, He's Got This!

Gun to My Head Prediction