Do Lives Matter?

“For, just like the fool, there is no lasting remembrance of the wise man, since in the days to come both will be forgotten.” (Ecclesiastes 2:16)

Black Lives Matter – All Lives Matter – Blue Lives Matter

Matter in what sense? Matter to Whom? Matter for how long?

It has been my observation over 66 years that the only lives that actually matter to anyone are those they love, or are currently dependent upon. That is not a cynical view of life, but simply common sense reality.

I have been to, or witnessed on TV, funerals where the house was packed, tears were abundant, and eulogies were long. But two weeks later, the deceased did not matter to anyone but those who had really loved them or had been dependent upon them. That is OK. That is life as most men understand it.

Napoleon nailed it for most men when he said... 


“Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever” – Napoleon Bonaparte

Do people really matter?

I think so, but my hope will not be in Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton. Both have come to glory for this fleeting moment, but neither will matter much to anyone 20 years after they go into the grave. 

My hope is in the biblical truth that mankind matters to God and my understanding of what He has done for mankind through Christ Jesus.  This grace of God which gives hope was beautifully penned by hymn writer Edward Mote…

“My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness. I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean of Jesus’ name. When darkness seems to hide his face, I rest on his unchanging GRACE. On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand” – Edward Mote

"For the GRACE of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all." (Titus 2:11)

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Not Ashamed

Trust Him, He's Got This!

Gun to My Head Prediction