You Do Not Love Like That

"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love." (1 Corinthians 13:-12-13)

The Greek word for love in the above passage is "agape". There are two other Greek words in the New Testament translated love which are "phileo" and "storge".

Just to be clear, in this post I am talking about "agape" (unconditional gratuitous love - like God loves).

It is indeed rare, if ever, that a human being loves that way…I have never met one yet, although some come closer than others.

We see glimpses of it from time to time, but eventually, given enough time, all who appear or give the impression that they possess this  unconditional “agape” prove it is merely an illusion. You hardly ever see the Greek word "agape" used in Greek literature outside of the Bible. The highest love that people have toward one another is expressed in the Greek by the words “phileo” or “storge”. Peter expressed that to Jesus...

“Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love (agapas) me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love (philo) you.” (John 21:15)

At least Peter was honest. He loved Jesus as much as any human could, but not unconditionally.

All of us are flawed this way in this present evil age because we are sinners. Most ordinary people realize it deep down and are honest about the way they feel. They know intuitively that they do not love “unconditionally”.

Unfortunately, many Christians live in the illusion that a real honest to goodness spirit filled holy person can love unconditionally. Some will tell you they love you that way or know of someone that does. They do not, but don’t judge them.  Let them live in that illusion.  They want to love like Jesus, at least some of them, and especially pastors or other leaders. They think it necessary to portray that toward their flock or friends.


It is just that a flawed sinner (no matter how pious he may seem) cannot be what they are not. Paul was honest and expressed this problem as follows...

"For it is not the good that I will that I am doing, but the evil that I am not willing, this I am putting into practice. Now if what I am not willing, this I am doing, it is no longer I who am effecting it, but Sin which is making its home in me....A wretched man am I! What will rescue me out of this body of death? Grace! I thank God, through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Consequently, then, I myself, with the mind, indeed, am slaving for God's law, yet with the flesh for Sin's law." (Romans 7:19-25)


The good news, however, is that after this age is done, and we have been resurrected by Jesus to an immortal spirit dominated life only by the "Grace" of God, we will all love unconditionally, like God and His Son Jesus.

But for now, we only have "faith" and "hope" that one day we will "love" just as God loves....unconditionally.

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Not Ashamed

Trust Him, He's Got This!

Gun to My Head Prediction