Concerning Those Who Sleep

“And the multitude of those sleeping in the dust of the ground do awake, some to life age-during, and some to reproaches -- to abhorrence age-during.”  (Daniel 12:13 YLT)

We get our first insight into what death is from Daniel above.
When people die, they are said to be “sleeping in the soil of the ground” until they are awakened. Our Lord Jesus said this himself when referring to the death of his friend Lazarus…

"Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up." (John 11:11)

And about the dead, the Apostle Paul wrote…

“We would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not….for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable.…” (1 Thessalonians 4:17; 1 Corinthians 15:51-52)

I asked a Baptist preacher one time why we comfort people by telling them that a Christian immediately goes to Heaven at death when the above Scripture makes it pretty clear they are asleep. He said it must be true because all of the wise Christians that have gone before believed it and taught it.  But Daniel, Jesus and Paul did not believe that.  I had believed it myself and as I begin to question those beliefs I asked myself...

What is wrong with my being comforted by thinking my Mom and Dad are currently in heaven with Jesus?

No harm I thought, if it comforts the grieving heart and everyone teaches it - it must be OK.  

I realized, however, that we can choose to believe whatever we want - but believing something does not make it true. So I studied some more and finally was able to be comforted even more by the truth.  Mom and Dad are asleep and at peace, and one day, soon I hope, Mom and Dad shall be awakened at our Lord’s return…

“…then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words.” (1 Thessalonians 4:17-18)

We will rise and see him together...that is the truth and I am comforted and at peace with it.

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Not Ashamed

Trust Him, He's Got This!

Gun to My Head Prediction