Astonishing

"What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus. Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you—guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us. You know that everyone in the province of Asia has deserted me...You then, my son, be strong in the GRACE that is in Christ Jesus." (2 Timothy 1:13-2:1)

Just because a church is mainstream, fills pews, has clergy, stained glass windows, baptisms, and worship teams doesn't mean it proclaims Paul's message. Paul was shocked that some of his converts were departing from his message of the all inclusive "grace of Christ". We should remember that grace means unmerited favor, and be "astonished" that most churches preach a "different gospel" - at best a gospel of grace mixed with free will and works - which is "really no gospel at all".

"I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the GRACE of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which is really no gospel at all." (Galatians 1:6-7)

Paul "certified" that the gospel he preached was not made up by men.

"For I certify to you, brothers, that the gospel I preached is not devised by man."(Galatians 1:11)

He did not "peddle the word of God for profit" like "many others" were doing.

"For we are not like so many others, who peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, as men sent from God." (2 Corinthians 2:17)

Why did the Galatians, and most Christians, accept "another gospel" and "desert" the "sound teaching" of Paul?  Because they tend to accept the teaching about Jesus of the "polished" speakers considered "super-apostles". They should return to the "teaching" of the apostle that was actually "sent from God" "free of charge".

"For if someone comes and proclaims a Jesus other than the One we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit than the One you received, or a different gospel than the one you accepted, you put up with it way too easily. I consider myself in no way inferior to those super-apostles. Although I am not a polished speaker, I am certainly not lacking in knowledge. We have made this clear to you in every way possible. Was it a sin for me to humble myself in order to exalt you, because I preached the gospel of God to you free of charge?" (2 Corinthians 5:4-7)

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Not Ashamed

Trust Him, He's Got This!

Gun to My Head Prediction