What Is The New Covenant?

"After taking the cup, He gave thanks and said, Take this and divide it among you. For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes. And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, this is My body given for you; do this in remembrance of Me. In the same way, after the supper He took the cup, saying, this cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is poured out for you." (Luke 22:17-20)

It is important to remember that this event occurred at a Jewish Passover meal. The Passover is one of seven feasts which the Jewish people are to observe. These feasts have absolutely nothing to do with Gentiles like me and most of you reading this.

So what is Jesus saying to his Jewish followers? 

Jesus is simply informing them that He would not be around for any more Passovers until the coming of the kingdom of God. That kingdom has NOT come yet. The Bible clearly says that when it comes, it will include a New Covenant to replace the Old Covenant. Jeremiah makes it clear that Israel will be a part of that new covenant.

“The days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the PEOPLE OF ISRAEL and with the PEOPLE OF JUDAH. It will not be like the covenant I made with THEIR ancestors when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt, because they broke my covenant, though I was a husband to them” declares the Lord. “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel after that time,” declares the Lord. “I will put My law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be My people. No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest,” declares the Lord. “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.” (Jeremiah 31:31-34)

So what about the other nations of he world?  Good news!

"Therefore remember that formerly you—the nations in the flesh, the ones being called the uncircumcision by that being called the circumcision, made by hands in the flesh— that at that time you were separate from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of the promise, not having hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you, the ones once being far off, have become near by the blood of Christ...So then, you are no longer strangers and aliens, but are fellow citizens of the saints and of the household of God, having been built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is increasing into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together for a habitation of God in the Spirit." (Ephesians 2:11-13, 19-22)

The new covenant will include ALL humanity!

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Not Ashamed

Trust Him, He's Got This!

Gun to My Head Prediction