Spiritual Gifts

"There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines." (1 Corinthians 12:4-11)

Are these gifts still active within the Body of Christ today? 

I was raised in a church who taught that only the spiritual gifts of pastor-teachers and evangelists remain today, however I do not think that any of these spiritual "gifts" found in the first century church remain active today in the Body of Christ because we have the COMPLETED word of God in our Bible. We just need to read it or have someone read it to us.

"I am now rejoicing in my sufferings for you, and am filling up in my flesh, in His stead, the deficiencies of the afflictions of Christ, for His body, which is the church,  of which I became a dispenser, in accord with the administration of God, which is granted to me for you, TO COMPLETE the word of God - the secret which has been concealed from the eons and from the generations, yet now was made manifest to His saints, to whom God wills to make known what are the glorious riches of this secret among the nations, which is: Christ among you, the expectation of glory." (Colossians 1:24-27)

The word of God was completed when Christ Jesus finished revealing to Paul the secrets which had been previously "concealed" from humanity. We can read it for ourselves, unlike those of the first century church. So, in my view, the gifts present in the first century church are no longer active. We should share our thoughts about what we find in the Bible with others and compare thoughts without fighting over them. 

Discussing those differences would be good, but that ceased to happen in the institutional church long ago. The pastor, teachers and evangelists of those institutions are now considered the source of truth. 

The last time I voiced my differences within that church my long-time friend and pastor suggested that I start my own church. He told me he would not allow my views to be heard because it was his job as pastor to protect the members from opinions he deemed false. I simply told him there is only one church, and Christ is its head.

"For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body." (Ephesians 5:23)

"He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything." (Colossians 1:18)

As for the spiritual gift of tongues among those of the charismatic institutional churches, I do not think that gift is active today. I have never spoke in a different language that I had not previously learned so I cannot know what it would be like. Yet I do not personally believe that those who have are using the spiritual gift that Paul was referring to. Not that such speaking in tongues is demonic, just not the "gift" present and needed in the early Church. Just my thoughts, I am not intending to argue about it. 

Although I have never experienced speaking in tongues, I have been so overwhelmed by the knowledge of the truth in reading the Scripture, or simply been so overwhelmed with the presence of God while observing a sunrise or sunset, that I was speechless, and totally humbled before my Creator.

The only gifts of the spirit that are important to mew are "faith, hope and love"

"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing...And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." (1 Corinthians 13:1-3, 13)

My thoughts have been confirmed over the years when members of the Church who hold themselves out as evangelists or pastor/teachers disagree on the meaning of Scripture. How am I to know which one has the Spiritual gift of teaching?

“Studying to show myself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” (2 Timothy 2:15)


Popular posts from this blog

I Am Not Ashamed

Trust Him, He's Got This!

Gun to My Head Prediction