The Third Heaven

"In a beginning Elohim created the heavens and the earth." (Genesis 1:1)

The word "heavens" is plural and we can identify three in Scripture. The atmosphere above the land where the birds fly is the first one. Outer space where the stars and planets are seen is the second. But there is a "third heaven" which lies above outer space, the heaven that not even the Hubble or the James Webb space telescopes will ever penetrate.

"I am acquainted with a man in Christ, fourteen years before this, (whether in a body I am not aware, or outside of the body, I am not aware -- God is aware) such a one was snatched away to the third heaven. And I am acquainted with such a man (whether in a body or outside of the body I am not aware -- God is aware) that he was snatched away into paradise and hears ineffable declarations, which it is not allowed a man to speak." (2 Corinthians 12:1-4)

That "man" was the Apostle Paul. The "third heaven" is where the throne of God dwells, and where Christ Jesus resides at present. It is this heaven that members of the Body of Christ will go upon our resurrection. There we will display "among the celestials" "the transcendent riches of His grace".

"God, being rich in mercy, because of His vast love with which He loves us (we also being dead to the offenses and the lusts), vivifies us together in Christ (in grace are you saved!) and rouses us together and seats us together among the celestials, in Christ Jesus, that, in the oncoming eons, He should be displaying the transcendent riches of His grace in His kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For in grace, through faith, are you saved, and this is not out of you; it is God's approach present, not of works, lest anyone should be boasting." (Ephesians 2:4-9)

When Paul was allowed to see this "paradise" where celestial beings dwell, he was forbidden to speak about the "ineffable declarations" he heard.

The third heaven is where the New Jerusalem is being constructed. A city that is 1500 miles long, 1500 miles wide and 1500 miles high.  The Apostle John saw it descending onto the New Earth and recorded his vision in Revelation 21. There we read about the beauty and glory of that City. 

"And I perceived the holy city, new Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband" 

One day we will see the third heaven. What else will we find? We can only imagine using the Spirit which indwells us.

"...according as it is written, that which the eye did not perceive, and the ear did not hear, and to which the heart of man did not ascend -- whatever God makes ready for those who are loving Him...to us God reveals them through His spirit, for the spirit is searching all, even the depths of God." ... "The Lord Himself will be descending from heaven with a shout of command, with the voice of the Chief Messenger, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ shall be rising first. Thereupon we, the living who are surviving, shall at the same time be snatched away together with them in clouds, to meet the Lord in the air. And thus shall we always be together with the Lord. So that, console one another with these words." (1 Corinthians 2:9; 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18)

I am like a kid on Christmas morning when I think about it - what is under the  tree? 
Like the lyrics of the song by MercyMe - I can only imagine!

Surrounded by Your glory
What will my heart feel?
Will I dance for you Jesus?
Or in awe of You be still?  
Will I stand in Your presence?
Or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing Hallelujah?
Will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine


Popular posts from this blog

I Am Not Ashamed

Trust Him, He's Got This!

Gun to My Head Prediction