Everybody Gets Depressed - Even Jesus

King David was feeling depressed when he wrote… 

“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries of anguish?” (Psalm 22:1)

Ever been there – I have. There are just sometimes in each of our lives when we wonder if God really gives a damn. In those times all we have is prayer and whatever "faith" God has given to us…for most of us it is just a “measure”.

“...God has allotted to each a measure of faith.” (Romans 12:3)

Jesus never sinned and yet was crucified, and in the hours just before he died, he experienced the anguish and depression that Kind David and all mankind experience from time to time...

My soul is consumed with sorrow to the point of death...And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground...God, my God, why have you forsaken me(Matthew 26:38; Luke 22:44; Matthew 27:46)

Breaks my heart, yet in that necessary moment, God Himself, through His only begotten Son, felt the anguish and depression that people feel from time to time!  

Jesus, as the Son of God, could have done something about his situation...

"Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? (Matthew 26:53)

So why didn’t he? – you and I would have. 


It was to identify himself with mankind and show us that what we experience, even if it results in death, is not the end. The "thief" of depression, suffering and death may sometimes steal our joy in this life but death will be abolished and immortal abundant life will replace it!

“The thief comes to steal, to kill and to destroy, but I come that they may have life more abundantly....Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep. For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive… this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality…death is swallowed up in victory…thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.” (John 10:10; 1 Corinthians 15:20-57)  

Jesus had faith that God would raise him from the dead so he endured the agony of the cross to reveal to mankind that all creation will be delivered from the "sufferings" caused by sin and death...

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us...the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God."(Romans 8:18-25)

Yes, the resurrection will come to mankind, it is "the work of the Lord" - death will be "swallowed up in victory"!

“Cosole one another with these words…become settled, unmovable, superabounding in the work of the Lord always, being aware that your toil is not for naught in the Lord.” (1 Thessalonians 4:18; 1 Corinthians 15:58)

It is not our work, but the “work of the Lord” - which gives us assurance that our suffering in this life, with its resulting depression, is not in vain.

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Not Ashamed

Trust Him, He's Got This!

Gun to My Head Prediction