The Olympics of Bad Days

“But it is God who has wronged me, capturing me in his net. “I cry out, ‘Help!’ but no one answers me. I protest, but there is no justice. God has blocked my way so I cannot move. He has plunged my path into darkness. He has stripped me of my honor and removed the crown from my head. He has demolished me on every side, and I am finished. He has uprooted my hope like a fallen tree. His fury burns against me; he counts me as an enemy.” (Job 19:6-11)

Job had just been through the Olympics of bad days. He was a good man and had not sinned when God "wronged" him by allowing all his kids and grandkids to be killed and then all his his wealth and health to be taken away - and in case that wasn't enough, his wife tells him to curse God and die. He didn't but he does proclaim his innocence and says that God "wronged" him.

But does God really wrong good people for no apparent reason? Yes he does.

So how are we to deal with that? 


Well, Job told his friends what happened and that it was wrong for God to do so…they accused him of secret sin and counseled him to repent and walk the aisle next Sunday...to which Job replied...

"I have heard many things like these; you are miserable comforters, all of you! Will your long-winded speeches never end?" (Job 16:2-3)

Job's friends did not like Job blaming God, because they could not believe God would do bad things to good people. God said Job was right and told his sorry friends...

“...I am angry with you and your two friends, because you have not spoken the truth about me, as my servant Job has.” (Job42:7)



I am convinced God is still mad at religious people who self-righteously judge others.  However, even though Job was "wronged" by God, he was not right in condemning God of injustice for doing so...

“Would you discredit my justice? Would you condemn me to justify yourself? Do you have an arm like God’s, and can your voice thunder like his? Then adorn yourself with glory and splendor, and clothe yourself in honor and majesty..Then I myself will admit to you that your own right hand can save you.” (Job 40:8-14)

So, it is OK to feel "wronged" by God when bad things happen to a good person. However, it is NOT OK to question His justice in doing so unless “our own right hand can save” us.

Job was humbled, and his friends were put in their place and in Job's hands.  Job forgave them, and only after he prayed for his “miserable comforters” did God restore his fortunes…

“After Job had prayed for his friends, the Lord restored his fortunes and gave him twice as much as he had before.” (Job 42:10)

Some things I learn from the book of Job are:

God is Sovereign over the good, the bad and the ugly;

Friends suck sometimes, especially in accusing you of sin just because some bad stuff happens to us;

It is OK to get mad at God when bad stuff happens to good people.

Good people are blessed by God when they pray for their sorry friends who misjudge them.

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Not Ashamed

Trust Him, He's Got This!

Gun to My Head Prediction