The Purpose of Evil

“I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create EVIL: I the LORD do all these” (Isaiah 45:7)

The great barrier to belief in God, and especially to a loving God, is the presence of evil in the world. Quite frankly, I do not blame people for rejecting God or at least rejecting the idea of a God who really cares about people. And I am confident God does not blame them either.


The Bible, read in its entirety, can help us understand evil, but few have read or even had opportunity to read it. After all, the printed Bible was not made available to the public at large until recent times.

So why, if there is a God, did He create evil and why does He continue to allow it to prosper?

                                וְנָתַ֣תִּי אֶת־לִבִּ֗י לִדְרֹ֤ושׁ וְלָתוּר֙ בַּֽחָכְמָ֔ה עַ֛ל כָּל־אֲשֶׁ֥ר נַעֲשָׂ֖ה תַּ֣חַת הַשָּׁמָ֑יִם ה֣וּא׀ עִנְין

The above Hebrew is translated in the Concordant Version of the Bible as follows:

“I applied my heart to inquiring and exploring by wisdom concerning all that is done under the heavens: It is an experience of EVIL Elohim has given to the sons of humanity to humble them by it” (Ecclesiastes 1:13 CV)

God created evil in order that mankind could experience it and be humbled as a result. And when God is through with it, I am confident He will remove it…

“He will swallow up death for all time, and the Lord GOD will wipe tears away from all faces, and He will remove the reproach of His people from all the earth; for the LORD has spoken. And it will be said in that day, Behold, this is our God for whom we have waited that He might save us. This is the LORD for whom we have waited; let us rejoice and be glad in His salvation.” (Isaiah 25:8-9)

In this present evil age we will be humbled, but we live in faith that although evil is necessary, it is also temporary...the best is yet to come.

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Not Ashamed

Trust Him, He's Got This!

Gun to My Head Prediction